Help “Sack” Summer Hunger in Manatee County!
Hunger does not take a summer break. When summer begins, Meals on Wheels PLUS and The Food Bank of Manatee need your help to “Sack” summer hunger for Manatee County residents of all ages.
- During the summer, more than 14,000 children will be impacted by not having the regularly provided daily meals at school. Help The Food Bank of Manatee provide nutrition to food-insecure students by volunteering to pack and/or distribute weekend food sacks over the summer.
- Some of our volunteers migrate to the North for the summer, leaving a number of routes without volunteer drivers to deliver the approximately 700 meals-a-day to homebound seniors. You can fill the gap in coverage by becoming a home-delivered meals volunteer.
Bring your friends, family, and co-workers to lend a hand! Click here to register to volunteer.
There is a greater need for food over the summer and supplies on the shelves at The Food Bank of Manatee are low. Please help fill the shelves by donating non-perishable foods and funds.
- Host a food drive at your school, business, faith or civic organization, gym, or neighborhood clubhouse. Critically needed items include Spaghetti O’s, mac & cheese, fruit snacks, Vienna sausages, easy-open fruit cups, raisins, applesauce, juice boxes/pouches, pasta, canned veggies/fruit, diapers, and baby formula.
- Please help us increase our buying power for Meals on Wheels PLUS and The Food Bank of Manatee by making a financial donation. Thanks to a $1:$1 community match from the Steven and Natalee Herrig Family Foundation and Steve and Sara Bayard, all donations up to $75,000 will be doubled this summer!
The 27th Annual Letter Carriers’ Stamp Out Hunger Food Drive
On Saturday, May 11th, postal carriers in Manatee County will partner with The Food Bank of Manatee by collecting non-perishable food items along their routes. Manatee County residents can leave bags of non-perishable food by their mailboxes on May 11th.
Yellow Food-Collection Barrels will also be available at The Food Bank of Manatee located at 3231 59th Drive East Unit 101, Bradenton, FL 34203. To ensure donations are received by The Food Bank of Manatee, residents can drop off donations between 1 pm and 5 pm at the following post offices:
- Palmetto – 520 7th Street West, Palmetto
- Ellenton – 2605 72nd Avenue East, Ellenton
- Parrish – 12144 US Highway 301 North, Parrish
- Bradenton Beach – 116 Bridge Street, Bradenton Beach
The Food Bank of Manatee is the largest hunger relief organization in Manatee County bridging the gap between the food-insecure and the nutrition they need. What you give here—stays here. Please donate!
For More information, visit the official Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/StampOutHunger.
May is Older Americans Month
Join us in celebrating Older Americans Month! Led by the Administration for Community Living (ACL), Older Americans Month is a time to celebrate older adults, their stories, and their contributions to our society.
The theme of 2019, Connect, Create, Contribute, encourages older adults and their communities to:
- Connect with friends, family, and services that support participation.
- Create by engaging in activities that promote learning, health, and personal enrichment.
- Contribute time, talent, and life experience to benefit others.
Every day, Meals on Wheels PLUS offers programs to promote the idea of Connect, Create, Contribute for older adults in Manatee County. The home-delivered meal program is more than delivering meals—it is about making a connection with a homebound senior, sharing a warm smile, and providing an important wellness check. Often, this visit is the only social interaction the senior will receive that day.
Daybreak Adult Day Center and Friendship Dining are programs that promote independence, creativity, community, and nutrition for older adults. They participate in activities and exercises meant to enhance the quality of their life and provide them with a sense of contribution.
If you or someone you know might benefit from one of the PLUS programs of Meals on Wheels PLUS, visit https://mealsonwheelsplus.org/ for more information or call (941) 747-4655.
The Market at Lakewood Ranch
Many thanks to Lakewood Ranch for providing an opportunity for Meals on Wheels PLUS of Manatee to engage in outreach, recruit volunteers, and collect fresh produce and bread at The Market.
Every Wednesday from December to April, Meals on Wheels PLUS took up residence at a donation station set up at The Market! Kids were encouraged to decorate handcrafted holiday cards, which were delivered to seniors enrolled in various PLUS programs.
In total, $750 in donations and nearly 2,000 pounds of fresh produce, fresh-baked bread, and non-perishable food items were collected to benefit our community. The opportunity to bring awareness to the attendees about Meals on Wheels PLUS was priceless!
Happy Mother’s Day
What better way to honor Mom than making a very special tribute gift on her behalf to Meals on Wheels PLUS. Just $100, will feed two children weekend meals all summer long! Just $200, will provide hot, nutritious lunches for a full month to a homebound senior or you can “Adopt a Senior” for a full year for $2,000. Make an impact in our community and make a tribute gift in honor of the special women in your life by clicking here.